Saturday 21 May 2011

Prospective Wheels

It's a long weekend! I spent my morning lazing around in bed, but now it's time to make it all happen. On the schedule for today is purchasing a motorcycle helmet. I'm taking a motorcycle course this week, and I need some gear for the practical course and test. Of course, as I am such a procrastinator I have spent much more time looking at bikes than helmets and jackets. I've often started looking at bikes without taking into account all the additional expenses that come with one, so this year I decided to start at the beginning. It's hard to admit that it's probably taken me three years to figure that out. So although I'm still browsing Kijiji and Ebay instead of actually spending real money on safety stuff I did drop by my local motorcycle shop to try some helmets on. Apparently my head is sufficiently average to fit a "Medium" sized helmet; to me it's always gratifying to find out that I'm normal in some aspect of myself. A basic DOT approved full-face helmet will run me around $140 or so, and the course itself is $425. This all adds up, especially on a budget like mine, but I'll be happy just to have the license and gear.

As to the bike I'd like, I'm mainly looking at older small to midsize Japanese standard motorcycles. Here's a 1977 Suzuki GS that is almost exactly what I'm looking for. Something in the 400cc-650cc might be more suitable, but who am I to say no to some extra pulling power?




I'm at a part of my life now where choosing a vehicle is becoming something that I need to do. I'd like to eventually move back out to the country and that calls for some sort of year-round transportation. What would really make me happy is a Mitsubishi Delica van, or something in a very similar style. Outfitted as a camper I could roam as I please and avoid the stifling burden of rent. In Canada these types of vans are not especially common as they're almost exclusively exported out of Japan into cities like Vancouver. Even then our import laws only allow older vehicles to be imported and there are other hoops to jump through to get these vans licensed. Still, for around $10,000 I could have a mobile bedroom that can drive just about anywhere in N. America and would only cost me fuel and insurance. Considering I'll have paid more than that in rent alone by the end of my lease, it's a desirable path to follow. Here's one that's for sale out West right now for $7000 or so. 


As for my transportation right now, I've got a bike and some boots. I've done well with that combination for the last few years, and there's something to be said for the situations it can put you into. I'm planning to do a few "gear" posts, and my boots will have their share of the limelight soon enough. Of course, I'd be happy to take advice when it comes to transport for the roaming Boy.

5 comments:

  1. My first bike was a lot like that... was just about to trade in for high end sports bike when I got in an accident. Have a metal rod and pin in one of my legs. Be careful. +1follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to get a bike for so long now. Hopefully I'll have one by the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the bike looks like it's in good shape

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had enough money to buy a motorbike.. Something like this:

    http://www.shrani.si/f/2p/aq/1e8uPFLv/motos.jpg

    :P

    ReplyDelete