Sunday 22 May 2011

Boots

I mentioned boots in my last post, I figured I'd expound a little on mine. Last spring I spent a few months treeplanting in Northern Ontario. Treeplanting wears boots very hard, but it gave me some insight into what works for me footwear wise. Before heading out I bought two pairs of boots. one was a pair of steel toe British army surplus combat boots for $60 or so. These did not wear well. Although they were comfortable enough with extra insoles, after 2 weeks of work the sole started to detach from the subsole as dirt and debris was forced into the toe of the boot. I washed them out and reglued them with shoe goo, but even after letting the goo cure for 2 days under weight, they still tore right out from under me the first day I worked them again. My other boots were a pair of Mountain Equipment Co-op Chic-Choc hikers that ran me $50. I still have them, and although they are about worn out at this point, they were my only footwear through the fall and winter. These turned out to be much hardier than the combat boots and very light. Unfortunately they were technically disallowed for planting as they lacked a steel toe but I made do for a few weeks with these until, at the recommendation of a fellow planter, I picked up a pair of massive orange Viking chainsaw boots. Here both Suah and I are sporting those big fluorescent monsters.
Treeplant Crew
These were really great boots, and although much heavier than the other pairs, let me cruise through the bush with ease. They served me well, but really aren't the type of thing you can wear day-to-day. My crew boss (second from the right) put me on to Viberg boots as a possibility for something that I can walk and work in. Vibergs are made in Victoria, BC, and are custom fit and are made to last under harsh work conditions. They're also rather pricey, generally selling for more than $400. I can't justify that right now, especially as I'm not planting this spring, but I still needed something that would do a good job for general use and fit my no-frills aesthetic. My final choice was a pair of Doc Marten 1460s in waxed leather.

 My Doc Marten 1460s
 Leather is a great material for just about everything, as it wears so well. A pair of leather boots, given proper care, will last for many years and mold to the wearer's foot. Just as importantly, as it wears it acquires a patina that I really like. Well worn leather is very comfortable, and even comforting. Although Docs are only available in full sizes and fixed width, these fit me well and cost about $170. They're not as garish or heavy as combat boots, they're suitable for day-to day use, and they grow more pleasant to wear every day. My biggest issue with them is that they are made in Thailand. I'd prefer to wear a Canadian product. I'm happy with the purchase and might consider a pair of the pricier guaranteed-for-life Docs once these wear out.

2 comments:

  1. I do a lot of walking in the forest and I usually wear my mountain hiking boots. They're not made of leather though, but are simply great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get myself a good pair of boots.

    ReplyDelete