Monday 23 May 2011

Boots Follow-Up

There's a quote I dug up somewhere and saved for its relevance. 
"'Wabi-sabi' can be used to describe the aesthetically pleasing wear of an object as it decays over time. It’s a notion that embraces the transience of objects and celebrates the purity of the imperfect."
 That's why I find it so important to get a little obsessive about the things that I surround myself with. Here's a bit of an example; the (cheap) Chic-Choc boots I mentioned in the last post. There's wear and tear; the salt build-up from the winter's slush, the way the synthetic fabrics start to just fray and tear apart. There's a hole in the left toe from screefing, and a hole in the right insole from bringing it down on my shovel thousands of times. But there's also the warm smooth glow the leather on the tongue of the boot, the polish of brass showing under the lace hooks. You can see how the wear on my old boots dictated my choice of new ones.

Worn out MEC Chic-Chocs
These boots have been worn out, but my new ones will simply become worn in.

3 comments: